- GW Home
- About GW
- University Life
- News & Events
- Faculty And Staff
How to Apply
We encourage students to submit their application online using either the GW Online Application or the Common Application. Both are considered equally—you should submit the application you prefer and do not need to submit both applications.
GW Online Application
The GW Online Application consists of two parts. The short Part I asks for biographical and school information and must be completed before accessing Part II. Part II is more extensive and includes essays as well as payment information. In order to begin your application you need to create a GW Admissions Activity Center account. Once your application is submitted, you will be able to check your application status through the Activity Center.
Health Sciences programs require the School of Medicine and Health Sciences application. For more information about these programs as well as a variety of online degrees, please visit smhs.gwumc.edu.
GW accepts the Common Application in lieu of the GW Online Application. If you elect to use the Common Application, our GW Supplement to the Common Application is also required. The GW Supplement to the Common Application must be submitted electronically through the Common Application website. (If you have questions about the Common Application Supplement, please contact the Office of Admissions at 202-994-6040.) To check the status of your application after you submit the application, you must create a GW Admissions Activity Center account.
Advice for submitting your application
- Put your name and date of birth on each page of your supporting documents. This information facilitates accurate placement of your supporting documents in your admissions file.
- Make sure to use your legal (official) name and check that your name is the same on all documents that you submit.
- Proofread before submitting your application and supporting documents.
- Send everything together. Submitting all your supporting documents, including your high school transcript and recommendations, in one package reduces the chances that documents will get misplaced or separated during processing.
- Make sure your supporting documents can be scanned. All application materials at GW are scanned into a computer system, and applications are read online. Therefore, please do not staple documents together. Supplemental materials such as slides, CDs and DVDs cannot be scanned and, therefore, will not be considered.
- Documents in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- If you start your application file using the GW Online Application Part 1, you may submit the Common Application and the GW Supplement to the Common Application in lieu of the GW Online Application Part 2.