Transfer Admission

Transfer Admission

GW considers anyone who has graduated from high school and completed at least one college course since high school graduation to be a transfer student. Each year we welcome nearly 350 new transfer students from more than 300 different colleges and universities. We seek transfer students who have succeeded academically at another college or university, and who have the motivation to thrive within GW’s unique blend of classroom, campus and city experiences.

Our review includes an evaluation of your academic background at each institution of higher education previously attended. We also take into consideration your high school record and standardized test scores (only if you have completed fewer than 30 hours of transferable credit), essay(s), letters of recommendation, extracurricular activities and interest in the university.

Should you have questions regarding the transfer admission process you may speak to an admissions representative by calling (202) 994-6040.

The following credentials are required of all transfer applicants:

Application: Apply online using the Common Application.

Official transcript from each institution of higher education previously attended: These credentials are required (whether or not credit was earned or is desired) and should be sent directly from the registrar's office to GW's Office of Admissions.

Faculty Recommendation

Transfer College Report (formerly known as the Registrar's Report or College Official's Report):  You must submit the College Report form for all institutions where you have been enrolled full-time.  This form should be completed by your college/university registrar or appropriate dean or college official who can verify your enrollment and academic/disciplinary standing.  To access the College Report form, please visit the Common Application website and:

  1. Go to your Common Application Dashboard
  2. Click the "Recommenders" tab
  3. Click "Assign Recommender"
  4. Click "Registrar"
  5. Enter the information for the person completing the form on your behalf

The following credentials are also required of students with fewer than 30 semester hours of transferable credit. If you are unsure of your credit status, we would advise you to submit these documents to facilitate the review of your application.

Official High School/Secondary School Transcript: This credential must be sent to us from each high school attended.

Standardized Test Scores: We accept scores on either the SAT or ACT. Test scores need to be sent directly to our Admissions Office by the testing agency. GW's school code for the SAT is 5246 and for the ACT is 0664.

Additional documents (including language proficiency information, financial documents and visa paperwork) may be required for international students. See the international application requirements page for more information.