Bringing Credit to GW

Bringing Credit to GW

Assuming there is no duplication of coursework, a maximum of 24 credits may be awarded for AP/IB examinations.  There is no limit to the number of credits that can be awarded for dual credit/college credit earned while enrolled in high school.

Credit through Examination

In order to receive credit for College Board Advanced Placement (AP) examinations, you must have official score results forwarded directly to us from the College Board. GW's College Board code is 5246.

Official International Baccalaureate (IB) results should be sent as soon as they are available.

Be aware that credit earned by examination at other colleges or universities or examinations taken after having taken the appropriate college-level course will not transfer credit to GW.

Please refer to the following charts for GW’s course equivalents:

College Courses Taken in High School

If you have completed college courses while in high school, GW generally grant credit if you received a grade of "C-" or better in the courses, and if the courses are similar to those offered at GW. In order to receive credit, you should have official transcripts sent to GW as soon as possible.  If you are sending a transcript while you are applying to GW, you should send the transcript to the Office of Admissions (2121 I Street, NW, Suite 201, Washington, D.C., 20052). Once you have been admitted to GW, all dual enrollment transcripts should be sent to the Office of the Registrar (44983 Knoll Square, Enterprise Hall, Suite 390, Ashburn, VA 20147,

Transfer Credit

For transfer students, an evaluation of your courses taken at other institutions is completed when you have been admitted to GW and comes with your letter of admission. This evaluation will give you an idea of which credits will transfer to GW; however, final determination of how this credit will be applied to a degree must be obtained from your academic adviser.

A meeting with your adviser upon acceptance is encouraged to help you determine which courses will fulfill degree requirements for your intended major.

A grade of C- or better in a course from a regionally accredited college or university (or the equivalent)  is required to transfer credit. The University does place limitations on the amount of credit that will transfer from a two-year institution. GW school specific regulations on transfer credit can be obtained from the University Bulletin at or by contacting the appropriate Dean’s office.