Created in 2003, the Dean’s Council for Multicultural Recruitment assists the undergraduate admissions office in the recruitment of multicultural students and students who are committed to succeeding in a diverse and inclusive environment. The council allows current GW undergraduate students to take an active role on campus in highlighting GW’s commitment to multiculturalism, equality, and social justice.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Increase awareness, promote inclusiveness, and prompt genuine celebration of differences within the GW community.
- Participate in overnight hosting, campus tours, student panels, high school visits, and admitted student programs. This includes involvement in Your GW, a fall overnight program for high school seniors, and our Spring Diversity Open House, for high school juniors.
- Attend meetings, trainings, and retreats.
- Must be in good academic and judicial standing with the university throughout tenure in the position.
- Adhere to the GW Student Code of Conduct and conduct yourself in an appropriate manner both in person and electronically (i.e., email, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, etc.)
- Demonstrate a passion for diversity and multiculturalism
- Possess a positive attitude, enthusiasm, and passion
- Exhibit strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
- Demonstrate punctuality, reliability, and professionalism
- Have fun!
- Develop professional connections with GW administrators, faculty, and staff
- Plan and facilitate diversity and social justice workshops for the council and the office of undergraduate admissions
- Mentor other students
2020-2021 Leadership Opportunities
1. Coordinator of the Virtual Campus Tour & Experience
2. Coordinator of Your GW
3. Coordinator of Spring Diversity Open House
4. Coordinator of Admitted Student programming
The Dean’s Council for Multicultural Recruitment supports the following events and programs during the GW admissions cycle:
- Your GW: A program for high school seniors celebrating diversity and inclusion
- Spring Diversity Open House: An event for high school juniors in our local area
- Virtual campus visits
Dean's Council Meetings
Dean's Council meets once to twice a month during the academic year. More details will be posted soon regarding upcoming meetings.
Questions? Want to join?
We will be holding an interest meeting on Wednesday, September 23 at 6:00 p.m. ET where you can learn more about Dean's Council and meet with current members. Please join us during the set date and time at go.gwu.edu/DCInterest.
For more information, please email Connor Luong at [email protected].