Additional FAQs


While our staff can answer your questions in a one-on-one or group setting, here are answers to some of the most common questions we’re asked by prospective GW students.

Financial Assistance FAQs   //   AP, IP, & Dual Enrollment FAQs   //   
Admission Letters or Proof of Enrollment   //   GW Living and D.C. FAQs 




Financial Assistance


How do I apply for financial aid? What are the requirements and deadlines?

Applicants are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships. View the application process for need-based aid. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit financial aid material by the admission application deadline. Learn more from the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

Do you offer merit scholarships?

Yes, applicants are automatically considered for merit scholarships as part of the admissions process. Learn more about merit scholarships at GW.

Are international students eligible for financial or merit aid?

International students are not eligible for need-based financial assistance, but they are eligible for merit scholarships, for which there is no additional application.

Is all financial aid at GW guaranteed?

GW guarantees that any merit scholarship awarded to admitted students will remain the same from year to year. Federal loan assistance is also guaranteed to be awarded as long as the student completes their aid application on an annual basis. Need-based financial assistance (including grants and federal work-study) provided by GW or the federal government are subject to change based on the submission of an annual financial aid application. Please note that receiving both GW and federal aid assistance is dependent on the student making satisfactory academic progress.


AP, IB, and Dual Enrollment

For which test scores can I receive college credit at GW?

Review our policy for bringing credit to GW. Also note that while the general GW policy limits transfer credit from AP/IB exams to 24 units, students who enroll in the B.A./M.D. program will be allowed to bring in additional credits from AP/IB exams.



Admission Letters or Proof of Enrollment

How can I get a copy of my admission letter or proof of enrollment?

We encourage each student to save a copy of their admission letter from their portal upon admission. Letters from previous years will not be available. Often current students will require a "proof of enrollment," which are available for the current academic semester. These are available from the Student Records Information Menu of GWeb; more information is available from the Office of the Registrar. To request a copy of your admission letter from a previous term, please contact our office with your request and include your GWID for verification.



GW Living & D.C. 

How do I decide where to live?

Once you are accepted to GW, you will complete a housing form, which allows you to rank your housing preferences, including residence halls on our Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses. Typically, students get one of their top three choices on the housing form. Learn more from GW's Campus Living & Residential Education.

Can I live on-campus all four years?

Yes, first-time-in-college students are required to live on campus for their first two years. Juniors and seniors may choose to remain on campus or move to off-campus housing.

Are there any support programs for students with learning differences?

As a diverse and inclusive community, we strive to meet the needs of every GW student. Learn about the numerous supports for students with learning disabilities offered by GW’s Disability Support Services.

Can I have a car on campus?

First-year students on Foggy Bottom cannot have a car on campus, but those on Mount Vernon can. Students in their second year and above may have a car, although very few students find it necessary. Find out more about Transportation and Parking Services on campus.

Is tobacco use allowed on GW’s campus?

No, GW is proudly a smoke-free campus.

What are the dining options for GW students?

GW offers an "all you care to eat" dining plan for students. Students may eat at dining halls on the Foggy Bottom or Mount Vernon campus, which all offer buffets plus made-to-order food, or at retail locations on campus. Dining plans also include a "declining balance" that students may use at area restaurants and food trucks. Get plan prices, browse our dining partners, and get more information from GW Dining.

Does GW offer any kosher/vegan/gluten-free dining options?

Yes, GW Dining is attuned to the dietary preferences and restrictions of our students, as well as food allergies. Options abound for every student and staff is available to address any concerns.

Is there Greek life?

Yes, GW has 35 Greek organizations on campus, including pre-professional, cultural, and social fraternities and sororities. About 30 percent of students participate in Greek life. Learn more about Greek life at GW.

Can you tell me about religious groups on campus?

Religious life at GW is inclusive and lively, across the board, with more than 20 student organizations centered on faith.

What’s the weather like?

Mid-Atlantic region weather means mild temperatures for fall and spring, with a warm summer and chilly winter. D.C. is a four-season climate.

Where can I find out more about the District of Columbia on the web?

A great place to start is You can learn about the different D.C. neighborhoods, places to eat, where to stay, and things to do!

What do students do for fun at GW?

D.C. is a great place for college students, with many inexpensive culturally enriching opportunities. Many students visit the monuments and various Smithsonian Institutions, explore different neighborhoods of D.C. like Adams Morgan and Capitol Hill, or partake in any of the seasonal festivals, concerts, and events in the area.