If English is not your first language, you are required to submit official scores from an English proficiency examination, regardless of citizenship. We recommend that you take the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic, or Duolingo English Test prior to submitting your application and make sure that official test scores are sent directly to us. Institutional test scores are not accepted for admissions purposes.
To meet the English Language Proficiency requirements for admission, GW applicants should earn:
- A minimum score of 90 on the TOEFL; OR
- A minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS; OR
- A minimum score of 61 on the PTE Academic; OR
- A minimum score of 115 on the Duolingo English Test
GW's school code for the TOEFL is 5246.
English For Academic Purposes (EAP)
Based on the results of your English Proficiency exam results and your application, you may be required to take English for Academic Purposes (EAP) during your first year of study at GW. EAP may be waived if you meet the criteria for an English Language Proficiency waiver listed below or if you submit a minimum score of 100 on the TOEFL exam, a minimum score of 7.5 on the IELTS exam, or a minimum score of 125 on the Duolingo English Test. Please note that GW evaluates each application holistically so applicants may still be recommended for EAP even if they meet the requirements for a waiver.
English Language Proficiency Waiver
The English Language Proficiency requirement may be waived if you meet one of the following criteria:
- Submit a score of 650 or higher on the SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing or Critical Reasoning exam
- Submit a score of 29 or higher on the ACT English exam
- As a first-year applicant, you will have completed your most recent 4 years of secondary education at an institution where English is the primary language of instruction by the time you enroll at GW
- As a transfer applicant, you have completed two consecutive English Language Composition courses at the college level at the time of application
If you believe you qualify for a waiver, please complete the English Proficiency Waiver Request Form. Your request will be reviewed on a rolling basis once your application and transcripts have been submitted. All international applicants are required to submit either an English proficiency exam score or submit a waiver request by the application deadline. Waiver requests will be evaluated for approval within one week of submission.
Optional Unscripted Video Interviews
In addition to submitting English language proficiency test scores, GW welcomes unscripted video interviews submitted through InitialView. This opportunity allows you to showcase your English skills through conversation. The submission of an InitialView interview is optional and does not replace our English language proficiency requirement.